Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Movin' On Up

We moved over Memorial Day weekend.

I realize this may not be earth-shattering news in your world, but it sure rocked mine on its axis.

Let me back up. Hubby and I had been on a perpetual house hunt for roughly three years. We loved our old house. Could have lived in it forever and probably died there, except for a couple minor details:

1. It had a one-car garage. And we have two cars. And Hubby was getting just a wee bit sick and tired of having to go out to my car on winter mornings to scrape the ice/frost off the windshield. (That was the trade-off for allowing him to park his car in the garage.)

2. The basement bathroom was...problematic. Anyone who knows me, knows that replacing a cracked shower stall floor became a year-long struggle in which much effort and sweat, not to mention curse words, were expended. And during which time I was confined to the upstairs bath, which DIDN'T HAVE A SHOWER. I repeat: there was no shower head in our upstairs bathtub. So I spent a year taking baths.

3. I now hate and loathe baths. Wouldn't take one if you paid me a boatload of money.

4. There were only 2 bedrooms.

Anyway, bath-time neuroses aside, there wasn't anything terribly wrong with our old house, so we took our time in looking for a new one. And finally, finally, FINALLY, we found one that is awesomely awesome. And spacious. And purty. And did I mention, awesome?

*Please note that I will try mightly to find time to take some photgraphs of the wonder that is my new kitchen ASAP.

So, we moved. And I discovered what it's like to not know where anything is. To continue leaving my shoes in a big ol' cardboard box because that's easier and more convenient than unpacking them. To not be able to cook anything for 2 straight weeks because we remodeled the kitchen immediately (all new appliances and quartz countertops). To be in the process of re-painting every single room in the house.

In short, I went from living in a house with several deficiencies, but overall, nothing majorly wrong, to living in a war zone.

But I love it anyway.

And I know that when we're finished, it will be beautiful, and we will have put our own unique stamp on the house.

But I probably won't get much cooking (or blogging) done this summer. And I wanted you to know why.

I will try, however, to post some kind of updates about the ongoing renovation projects. Hubby and I are babes in the woods when it comes to that stuff, but we're learning fast. (We have no choice.)

Perhaps my next blog post will be my adventures on our new riding lawn mower (it's candy apple red and very sleek -- I like to think of it as the sports car of yard work).

No comments:

Post a Comment